top of page

Young Ninja Group (ages 3-5)

공개·회원 10명

Parker Thomas
Parker Thomas

The Ultimate List of Adverb Adjective Collocations PDF 12: Examples and Exercises

Adverb Adjective Collocations PDF 12: A Complete Guide for English Learners

Do you want to improve your English vocabulary and sound more natural and fluent? One of the best ways to do that is to learn adverb adjective collocations. These are combinations of words that often go together and form a single expression. For example, when you say something is absolutely amazing, you are using an adverb adjective collocation.

adverb adjective collocations pdf 12

Download: https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Furlcod.com%2F2ucA35&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2TT_bMxo3KviGwH2UD7Ikz

Adverb adjective collocations can help you express your ideas more clearly and precisely, as well as add variety and interest to your speech and writing. They can also help you understand native speakers better, as they often use these expressions in everyday communication.

In this article, you will learn everything you need to know about adverb adjective collocations, including:

• What are the most common adverb adjective collocations in English and how to use them correctly

• How to find and learn more collocations from authentic sources like books, movies, podcasts, etc.

• How to practice and review collocations with fun and effective exercises and games

• How to avoid common mistakes and pitfalls with collocations

By the end of this article, you will have a solid foundation of adverb adjective collocations that you can use confidently in any situation. You will also be able to download a PDF file with 12 collocations for each adverb category that we will cover in this article.

Are you ready? Let's get started!

Common Adverb Adjective Collocations with Examples and Explanations

In this section, we will look at some of the most common adverb adjective collocations in English. We will divide them into three categories based on the function of the adverb:

• Adverbs that intensify adjectives (e.g. absolutely, highly, utterly, etc.)

• Adverbs that moderate adjectives (e.g. mildly, reasonably, slightly, etc.)

• Adverbs that express attitude or opinion (e.g. bitterly, deeply, strongly, etc.)

For each category, we will provide a table with some examples of collocations, along with their meanings and usage notes. We will also give you some sentences to show you how these collocations are used in context.

Adverbs that Intensify Adjectives

The first category of adverbs that we will look at are those that intensify or strengthen the meaning of the adjective. These adverbs are used to emphasize how extreme or strong something is. For example:

AdverbAdjectiveMeaning

AbsolutelyAmazingVery impressive or wonderful

HighlySuccessfulVery accomplished or prosperous

UtterlyRidiculousCompletely absurd or unreasonable

TotallyUnbelievableCompletely incredible or hard to believe

RidiculouslyCheapVery inexpensive or low-priced

TerriblyDisappointingVery unsatisfying or frustrating

FiercelyCompetitiveVery aggressive or determined to win or succeed

PerfectlyClearCompletely obvious or easy to understand

DeeplyOffendedVery hurt or insulted by something or someone

PainfullyShyVery timid or nervous around other people

Examples:

• The view from the top of the mountain was absolutely amazing.

• She is a highly successful lawyer who has won many cases.

• I think his idea is utterly ridiculous. It will never work.

• The story he told us was totally unbelievable. I don't trust him at all.

• I bought this dress for only $10. It was ridiculously cheap.

• The movie was terribly disappointing. I expected it to be much better.

• The job market is fiercely competitive. You need to have a strong resume and good skills.

• The instructions were perfectly clear. I don't know how you could mess up.

• He was deeply offended by her rude comment. He didn't speak to her for a week.

• I was painfully shy as a child. I didn't make many friends.

Note that some of these adverbs can be used with different adjectives to create different meanings. For example, you can say something is fiercely loyal, utterly stupid, totally awesome, perfectly normal, etc. The key is to learn which adverbs and adjectives go well together and sound natural in English.

Adverbs that Moderate Adjectives

The second category of adverbs that we will look at are those that moderate or weaken the meaning of the adjective. These adverbs are used to show that something is not very extreme or strong. For example:

AdverbAdjectiveMeaning

MildlyAmusedSlightly entertained or interested by something funny or unusual

Adverbs that Express Attitude or Opinion

The third category of adverbs that we will look at are those that express attitude or opinion about something or someone. These adverbs are used to show how the speaker or writer feels or thinks about something or someone. For example:

AdverbAdjectiveMeaning

BitterlyColdVery cold and unpleasant

StronglyOpposedVery against something or someone

DeeplyConcernedVery worried or anxious about something or someone

HighlyUnlikelyVery improbable or doubtful

VirtuallyImpossibleNearly or almost impossible

CautiouslyOptimisticSlightly hopeful but careful about something or someone

EternallyGratefulVery thankful or appreciative for something or someone

Examples:

• It was a bitterly cold day. We had to wear gloves and scarves.

• I am strongly opposed to the new law. I think it is unfair and unjust.

• The parents were deeply concerned about their son's health. He had a high fever and a cough.

• It is highly unlikely that he will pass the exam. He didn't study at all.

• The task was virtually impossible. No one could do it in such a short time.

• The doctor was cautiously optimistic about the patient's recovery. He said there was a chance of improvement.

• I am eternally grateful for your help. You saved my life.

Note that some of these adverbs can also be used with different adjectives to create different meanings. For example, you can say something is bitterly disappointing, strongly recommended, deeply unhappy, highly impressive, virtually identical, etc. Again, the key is to learn which adverbs and adjectives go well together and sound natural in English.

Tips and Tricks for Mastering Adverb Adjective Collocations

In this section, we will give you some tips and tricks for mastering adverb adjective collocations. These are some strategies that you can use to find, learn, practice and review collocations effectively and efficiently.

How to Find and Learn Collocations from Authentic Sources

The best way to find and learn collocations is to expose yourself to authentic sources of English, such as books, movies, podcasts, articles, etc. These sources will provide you with real examples of how native speakers use collocations in different contexts and situations.

To find and learn collocations from authentic sources, you can follow these steps:

• Pick a source that interests you and matches your level of English. For example, if you like science fiction, you can choose a science fiction book or movie. If you are an intermediate learner, you can choose a source that is not too difficult or too easy for you.

• Read or listen to the source carefully and pay attention to the words that are used together. You can use a dictionary or an online tool like Google Ngram Viewer to check the meaning and frequency of collocations.

• Write down the collocations that you find and make notes of their meanings and usage. You can use a notebook or an app like Anki to organize your notes.

• Review your notes regularly and try to use the collocations in your own speech and writing. You can also make flashcards or quizzes to test yourself on the collocations.

By following these steps, you will be able to find and learn collocations from authentic sources in a natural and enjoyable way.

How to Practice and Review Collocations with Exercises and Games

Another way to master collocations is to practice and review them with exercises and games. These are some activities that you can do to reinforce your memory and understanding of collocations.

• Fill in the blanks. This is a simple exercise where you have to complete sentences with the missing adverb or adjective. For example: The movie was ________ disappointing. I expected it to be much better. (Answer: terribly)

• Match the pairs. This is a fun game where you have to match the adverbs and adjectives that form collocations. For example: Absolutely - Amazing, Highly - Successful, Utterly - Ridiculous, etc.

• Rewrite the sentences. This is a challenging exercise where you have to rewrite sentences using different adverbs or adjectives that form collocations. For example: The test was very easy. I didn't even study, but I will get a high score. (Rewrite: The test was ridiculously easy. I didn't even study, but I will get a high score.)

• Create your own sentences. This is a creative exercise where you have to make your own sentences using the collocations that you have learned. For example: I am deeply concerned about the environment. I try to recycle and save energy as much as possible.

By doing these exercises and games, you will be able to practice and review collocations in a fun and effective way.

How to Avoid Common Mistakes and Pitfalls with Collocations

The last tip that we will give you is how to avoid common mistakes and pitfalls with collocations. These are some errors that learners often make when using collocations and how to avoid them.

• Mixing up similar adverbs or adjectives. Sometimes learners confuse adverbs or adjectives that have similar meanings but form different collocations. For example, some learners might say highly cold instead of bitterly cold, or deeply successful instead of highly successful. To avoid this mistake, you need to pay attention to the nuances of meaning and usage of each word and learn which ones go well together.

• Using incorrect word order. Sometimes learners use the wrong word order when forming collocations. For example, some learners might say wrong totally instead of totally wrong, or cold bitterly instead of bitterly cold. To avoid this mistake, you need to remember that the adverb always comes before the adjective in English.

• Overusing or underusing collocations. Sometimes learners overuse or underuse collocations in their speech or writing. For example, some learners might use the same collocation over and over again, which can sound boring or unnatural. On the other hand, some learners might avoid using collocations at all, which can make their language sound too simple or vague. To avoid this mistake, you need to balance your use of collocations and vary your vocabulary according to the context and purpose of your communication.

By avoiding these mistakes and pitfalls, you will be able to use collocations more accurately and confidently in English.

Conclusion

In this article, you have learned everything you need to know about adverb adjective collocations, including:

• What are the most common adverb adjective collocations in English and how to use them correctly

• How to find and learn more collocations from authentic sources like books, movies, podcasts, etc.

• How to practice and review collocations with fun and effective exercises and games

• How to avoid common mistakes and pitfalls with collocations

By following the tips and tricks that we have shared with you, you will be able to master adverb adjective collocations in no time. You will also be able to improve your English vocabulary and sound more natural and fluent.

To help you further, we have prepared a PDF file with 12 collocations for each adverb category that we have covered in this article. You can download it for free by clicking on the link below. You can use it as a reference or a study guide for your future learning.

Adjective Collocations PDF 12

We hope you enjoyed this article and found it useful. If you did, please share it with your friends and colleagues who might also benefit from it. And don't forget to leave a comment below and let us know what you think.

Thank you for reading and happy learning!

FAQs

Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about adverb adjective collocations.

• What are adverb adjective collocations?

Adverb adjective collocations are combinations of words that often go together and form a single expression. They consist of an adverb that modifies or enhances the meaning of an adjective. For example, absolutely amazing, highly successful, utterly ridiculous, etc.

• Why are adverb adjective collocations important?

Adverb adjective collocations are important because they can help you express your ideas more clearly and precisely, as well as add variety and interest to your speech and writing. They can also help you understand native speakers better, as they often use these expressions in everyday communication.

• How can I learn adverb adjective collocations?

You can learn adverb adjective collocations by exposing yourself to authentic sources of English, such as books, movies, podcasts, articles, etc. These sources will provide you with real examples of how native speakers use collocations in different contexts and situations. You can also use a dictionary or an online tool like Google Ngram Viewer to check the meaning and frequency of collocations.

• How can I practice adverb adjective collocations?

You can practice adverb adjective collocations by doing exercises and games that reinforce your memory and understanding of them. For example, you can fill in the blanks, match the pairs, rewrite the sentences, or create your own sentences using the collocations that you have learned. You can also make flashcards or quizzes to test yourself on the collocations.

• How can I avoid common mistakes and pitfalls with adverb adjective collocations?

You can avoid common mistakes and pitfalls with adverb adjective collocations by paying attention to the nuances of meaning and usage of each word and learning which ones go well together and sound natural in English. You also need to remember that the adverb always comes before the adjective in English. And you need to balance your use of collocations and vary your vocabulary according to the context and purpose of your communication.

71b2f0854b

소개

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

• 뮤직아이
  • Anas Altab
    Anas Altab
  • Joseph Kharlamov
    Joseph Kharlamov
  • Thomas Wilkinson
    Thomas Wilkinson
  • Bill Drew
    Bill Drew

에꼴드 뮤직아이 Tel:  514 430 4591  

​카카오톡: musiceye11

• White Facebook Icon